The Western Reserve was sparsely populated until after the War of 1812. In June 1815, David Stearns of Vermont became the first permanent white settler in what later became North Olmsted. Benjamin Clark of New England arrived shortly after Stearns. He built the cabin sometime before the 1820 census which listed him and his family of eight. The site today is in North Olmsted on the eastern side of Columbia Road near the Westlake border. It was the first dwelling in the region known as Sugar Ridge because of the dense forest of maple trees. The style was typical of the Cape Cod region of Massachusetts: central fireplace, vertical plank-walls, post and beam frame. Loose field stones were used for the foundation. Clapboard siding was added at a later time.
A squatter, Clark was evicted in 1823 when the owner of the land, Asher M. Coe, arrived from Middletown, Connecticut. Coe lived in the cabin until building a larger home at what is now the northeast corner of Lorain and Columbia Roads. The cabin was then used as lodging for his farm workers. In the 1840’s, Coe sold the cabin and 40 acres to Robert Moore.