Olmsted Historical Society - Frostville Museum

Preserving the Past and the Present for the Future

24101 Cedar Point Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070
Located at the corner of
Lewis and Cedar Point Roads
in the
Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation
216.501.3345

When and where do we hold meetings
for 2015?
February 1, February 22, April 12, May 3,
June 7, July 19, August 2, September 6
and November 1
All meetings start at 1:30. The April meeting will be held at the Fairview Public Library and May meeting will be held at the North Olmsted
Public Library.

Frostville Museum is a living history of 19th century Ohio, located in North Olmsted at the corner of Cedar Point and Lewis Roads in the Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation. Our goal is to preserve the past and present for the future.

The museum is open from
9:00 am to 1:00 pm most Saturdays and for special events listed on our Events Page to the right. A printable version of our Events is available on that page.

The museum consists of six historic buildings maintained and run by the Olmsted Historical Society. These buildings include: Prechtel House (the only home original to this site), Jenkin's Cabin, Brigg's House, Carpenter House, Stearns Carriage House, and FrostvilleVillage Church.  The Gifford General Store, Strelau Events Barn, and Wensink Display Barn are also a part of the village.

Records from our archives show that the Olmsted Historical Society was founded in May of 1953. The society incorporated as a non-profit association in 1961. In 1968, the society's name was changed to the Olmsted Historical Society focusing on the history of the entire original township.

The name Frostville has historic significance in this part of the Western Reserve.
Dr. Elias Carrington Frost settled on Kennedy Ridge road around 1819. In the early part of the 1800s, this region of Olmsted Township was called Frostville. He opened a post office on his farm in 1829. The postal station was named Frostville although it was within the township first called Lenox and later named Coe Ridge. The official name of the postal station was eventually changed to Olmsted. It seemed appropriate to reclaim this early name for the museum complex.

The Olmsted Historical Society, which manages Frostville Museum, has over 180 members, many of whom contribute time, labor and craftsmanship to the preservation of the grounds and facilities.  During planned events, many members dress in period attire giving the feel of the 1800s.

Throughout the year we hold a number of activities. All of our events are family friendly. We encourage you to stop down, enjoy the activities, bring a picnic lunch or buy from our vendors. We offer fun in the outdoors and a chance to experience our history. Check the Events tab to the right for a printable version of the years' upcoming events.

Tours for schools, scouts and other groups are available by reservation any day of the week from May through October. Contact Carol Henninger at cahenninger@aol.com for tour information.  Frostville Village Church may be rented for weddings. Contact Cindy Lentz at 440.476.5552 for contract information or by email at: Frostvillecindy@gmail.com .

If you are interested in becoming a member and volunteering your time, please fill out a membership form at the Membership Form link to the right and mail it to Olmsted Historical Society, P.O. Box 38744, Olmsted Falls, OH 44138. Questions may be left with Bob Lamb on our voice mail at 440.292.7822 or by email at: Lambsx5@msn.com.  General meetings are held the first Sunday of each month during February through May at 1:30 pm at the North Olmsted Public Library and at 1:30 at the Strelau Events Barn from June through November unless notified of a change on our website or by email.


Our Military History Day
Event scheduled for
June 28th has been cancelled.

This page last modified on Saturday, June 27, 2015

aaaaaaaaaaaaiii